CREATOR
So I recently devoured the romantasy streaming series MY LADY JANE and loved it; it is unrelentingly goofy and endearing, and I have a huge crush on both of the leads, they're delightful. I try to take a wide lens on fantasy romance for somewhat obvious reasons, in the same way that I do for sword & sorcery, and if you're going to offer me eight episodes of something this funny and this horny, what can I say? I will sign up.

That said: outside of all of the other cleverness of the show, I spent a lot of time thinking about the music cues, which trend very contemporary (which, to me, adds to the goofy charm, but I can easily see someone without a sterner stomach struggling with it) and usually these music cues trend specifically to "cover of a modern pop song by a girl-pop band" type choices. It feels unconventional, but to me says something about the audience they want to capture and entertain, and I think it works. 

This, of course, led me to a question that might be really polarizing:

What sort of music would you put to a fight scene--or a love scene!--in a romantic fantasy, especially in sword & sorcery, where atmosphere is a huge part of the appeal?

--scenes you might want to write?
--scenes you have already read?
--scenes you might be hoping for in our fair tome? 

There are no wrong answers, but I'm dying to know what you might pick!

Nota bene:
Please don't slag anyone else's choices--it takes all kinds, and sometimes something really unexpected works well to highlight a scene that might be very understated with the "expected" choices!
user avatar image for Jay Wolf

Twitter

Facebook

Copy Link

Comments 4